Friday, August 2, 2013

I can't capture all of the beauty






I've been going on artist dates with myself lately à la Julia Cameron. In the last week, I've been to the city to walk along one street. I've had a massage. I've swum which is also how I meditate.

 I refilled the bird feeders and bird baths and watched my yard come back to life with chickadees, finches and a lone squirrel. I've listened to random music on my mp3 player. I've played the guitar just for fun. I've biked for fitness, for escape and for errands in the village. I've listened to a TedTalk.

This morning as I walked through the woods on my way back from breakfast, I kept whipping my camera out of my purse to capture cliffs, streams, mushrooms, footbridges, moss, slugs and dragonflies. Photo after photo, I tried to capture what I was seeing all around me and I thought to myself that I'll never be able to capture all of the beauty around me. For some reason I felt grateful in my defeat. I'm glad that I'll never be able to capture it all. There will always be something to go after. I also wondered how is it that we can capture images, sounds and movement, but we still can't record smells, tastes, the warmth of the morning sun on our shoulders or the feel of the breeze on my face.

I finished reading Brené Brown's Daring Greatly while having breakfast overlooking the golf course. I copied so many passages into my journal. I'm thinking of organizing them somehow through mindmapping, at least I'm going to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment